Saturday, February 12, 2005

Pretty Good Day

I think I'll stop being a whiney little bitch for a few days. It's dragging on me. Always good to vent frustration, but there's no excuse for excessive complaining.

Anyway, yesterday turned out to be a pretty good day. My presentation went swimmingly well. I put in a good bit of time getting prepared for it, so I knew it would go alright. But the thing I liked is that everyone universally appreciated it because it was on a topic that no one in the class had studied before and they were all very inquisitive. Of course, my visual displays that I printed off the internet gave impact to my argument. Nothing like seeing satellite evidence of ethnic cleansing on a time-date basis.

After class, I went directly home. I had thought about doing some shopping, but was just not feeling it. I had not talked to the Prototype all week but was hoping to do something with her. She called immediately after she left work. I was pleased. We agreed to meet up in Covent Garden around 7 and went from there. We went to a pub for awhile and then back to The Loop which is where we were a few weeks ago. It's a decent club that isn't that expensive. While there, we had this conversation:

Me: "So Monday is Valentine's Day. Would you like to go to dinner?"
Her: "Are you asking me out?"
Me: "Absolutely."
Her: "Then yes, I would like to go out with you on Monday."
Me (Internal): "About time! I mean, did she just say yes to an actual date? Fucking A."

Anyway, as you can imagine, I was pretty pleased about that. In fact, I was pretty pleased with the whole evening. We had a great time, we didn't drink that much, and we just clicked all night long. Really, a great, great time. Also, she told me that her work friends had invited her out that night but she declined because she wanted to meet up with me even telling them that she "had plans with someone" when we hadn't actually talked all week. Pretty bold, although, pretty safe as well. (Like I was going to do anything else last night.)

Today, it was absolutely gorgeous out. The sun was shining, the air was crisp but not cold, and there was only a smattering of rain here and there. I was woken at the ripe hour of 8:30 by some construction out front which was most unpleasant, but I rallied by going back to sleep. I went out this afternoon though because I wanted to get into the city and I needed to make dinner reservations for Monday. I found this French restaurant that we went to a month or so ago that we were talking about last night. Neither one of us could remember the name or exactly where it was and we were lamenting that fact because it was totally sweet and romantic to boot. But, I'm pretty handy with maps so I knew it was on one of two streets and I found it today.

After I secured reservations, I walked down to Covent Garden to do a little shopping. Oddly, I ran into my friend Justin on the street just walking by. I met up with him for 1 pint after the store. I hadn't hung out with him in awhile, so it was good to chat.

When I got home, Real World sent me several annoying and insulting texts in a passive aggressive attempt to get me to go out with her and her boyfriend. Things like, "Stop waiting around your flat for the Prototype to call," and "don't be a lazy twat." With the utmost of patience I told her not to be an ass because it's not becoming. She called me up and tried to harass me into meeting up with her later, but I told her no. I'm just not feeling it tonight. Well, I'm not feeling her at all, but she's the 3rd person to try to get me to go out drinking tonight. But I'm so not interested in doing that. One night a week is more than enough for me. Not only that, it's just too damn expensive. I have many costs upcoming (dinner on Monday, trip to Geneva on Wednesday) and I'd rather spend my precious resources when I'm with the Prototype than with Real World.

The Real World situation needs to be addressed and it will soon. I'm sharing a hostel with her in Geneva (only because I agreed to in January), so I have to interact with her next week. But I think the most analogous situation is the end of 8 Mile when Eminem says, "I just think I need to do my own thing for awhile." I don't want to torpedo my friendship with her, but I think doing my own thing is necessary. When I spend lots of time with her, she drives me nuts. So establishing some distance is the only solution I see to maintaining an already tenuous friendship.

Tonight I think I'm going to do some laundry and some school work. Pretty lame for a Saturday night, but I think I'll enjoy it more than rolling to a club with Justin, Real World, or Victor. My neighbors invited me over as well, so I may go over there later tonight to have a decent chat. For two uneducated guys, they stay more on top of global events than half the people in my MA program.

1 Comments:

Blogger SJH said...

She's not. I'm going to Geneva for school. Real World is going with me because she's in my class. It's Real World that I am staying with (sharing a hotel room), not the Prototype. I would have no problem going somewhere with the Prototype.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position