Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Moving Along

I've mostly moved myself into Eurotrash's apartment. He left this morning for New York. So, for the next month, I'll have continuous high speed internet, a civilized living area, and my own personal space. How nice. I almost feel normal. Of course, I have to look for another place to stay after I move out here and that's sure to be a dodgy little hole, but hey, I'll enjoy the Miami Vice now that I have cable (there's nothing like Tubbs running around with a sawed-off).

Last night I met Eurotrash, Real World, and Crazy Ivan for some pints. Crazy Ivan is heading back to the States within the next hour, so last night was our last chance to hang out. Many pints of lager were consumed; many rounds of laughter were shared. It was very nice to see my friend from home, even if it was a brief respite. He got a kick out of meeting some of the characters of this blog (and can verify they actually exist). It's sort of a grand social experiment to introduce readers of the blog to people featured in the blog. I believe that Crazy Ivan can substantiate my characterization of Real World.

Smooth Like Butta' is going to the States next week. He lived in Miami for a couple years before coming to London, so he's headed back there. I was hoping he would stay here in London for a time, but he's ready to get out of here. He can't deal with the weather and he loves Miami, so I understand. Sadly, another friend is leaving. I have business to discuss with him before he goes, so I'm meeting him shortly. He has extensive contacts in Colombia and I'm in the process of investigating what opportunities there are there for me. I'm greatly interested in learning Spanish and if I have my choice, I'd prefer to learn it in Colombia than in Mexico (where I have a standing offer).

One thing that has not received much attention in the last week is my thesis. I did spend a day in a library, but I haven't read the articles that I gathered yet. I really need to get on that as my own personal deadlines are going to be here fast. Of course, I've had less time than I expected as I have had social obligations and I've been spending quite a bit of time with Miss Colombia. Plus, I'm working on getting a job, so that's taking a bit of time as well. However, it's time to get serious and get back on the grindstone.

I spent some time over at my neighbor's Sunday night. I hadn't seen them for a week, so it was nice to go over and talk politics. They're like the Odd Couple in that they're totally adversarial and diametrically opposed philosophically. One thing that has manifested itself over the last year is that when the British guy loses an argument (which happens all the time since he's a George Bush loving Tory supporter and thusly makes extremely bad arguments), he turns very personal toward his partner (the Irish guy). He also yells and shouts and turns red and generally acts the jackass. It's been quite uncomfortable from time to time because even if I try to place the peacemaker, it doesn't really work out that well. I can be quite mischievous at times - I like to throw the verbal hand grenade into conversation and watch the fireworks - but not with these guys. Civil conversation becomes impossible about certain issues after they're heavily debated. Oh, and it's not all the Brit's fault. The Irish guy is equally guilty of being dogmatic and not listening which only fuels the fight. Anyway, after Sunday, I'm certain that they're going to break up. It became so personal that the Irish guy was threatening to leave right there. Over the course of the last year, I've watched their relationship wax and wane but always assumed that they would stick it out. It's not done yet, but I think the writings on the wall.

Moving is a pain in the ass, especially after one drink too many the night before.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reading your blog and I figured you'd be interested in advancing your life a bit, call us at 1-206-339-5106. No tests, books or exams, easiest way to get a Bachelors, Masters, MBA, Doctorate or Ph.D in almost any field.

Totally confidential, open 24 hours a day.

Hope to hear from you soon!

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Crazy Ivan" here. I must say I enjoy being named after the Russian submarine commander's maneuver to catch the capitalists snoozing from the Hunt for Red October.

That being said, I got a real kick out of meeting all these people I've been reading about in the blog. What was especially funny was sitting at the pub with these people and having their nicknames dropped casually in the conversation by SJH without them having any clue what was going on. What was especially priceless was how he dead-panned to Ms. Columbia that he just has these nicknames for all of his friends. I was LMAO at the whole thing.

Now you may call me a masochist, but just like a car accident that you drive by, I had to get an in-person look at the train-wreck known as "Real World." This was truly priceless. I gave my best effort to push her buttons as pay-back for all the grief she's doled out to SJH over his time in London. The word poser, as a starter, doesn't even begin to describe her. She sadly tries to talk like she's a London native, accent and all. When I ask her where she's from, she replies San Francisco. I pointed out that I didn't think people talked like that in San Francisco to no avail.

She eventually bragged about her grades. How this rider of the proverbial short bus "earned" a 3.7 in graduate school is beyond me. I seriously think she'd have trouble figuring out how to use a speak and spell. I literally made fun of her for forty minutes straight before she clued in to what was going on. I was hoping for a burst blood vessel, but the best I managed was a small reaction coupled with an unwillingness or inability to verbally spar. In any case, SJH's descriptions of these people are right on the money. They really bring these folks to life and to actually meet a few of them was classic.

Was great to see you in London, especially on some rich corporation's dime. The only way to travel. Time to get back to the salt mine that is my employment situation. Crazy Ivan, looping back around to surprise the capitalists. (no I'm not a commie). Ciao for now.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position