Monday, April 24, 2006

What is it like to get married?

Life is getting back to normal, so I'm hoping that I'll be able to post more frequently. Let me say first that I had a really great time with my family and friends before, during, and after my wedding. Definitely a unique experience. I'll discuss the festivities in a bit, but first I want to mention the psychological condition that sets in before getting marraige.

Getting married is stressful. There's no doubt about that. I think that we both spent about a month before the wedding in alternate forms of stress. There's nothing rational about it. Every living and breathing fiber of our collective being screams out loud, "this is the person you're supposed to be with - don't walk, run to the aisle!" But it doesn't matter. You still have nervous thoughts and questions like, "Our entire lives, holy sh*t!" or, "Can we really be sure?"

Other manifestations: When you watch a stupid movie about a couple thinking of divorcing, you say, "holy crap, I hope that's not us in 10 years." It's not rational, but thoughts do spiral through your head uncontrollably.

But it's all a bunch of crap. When you know you know. And we knew. There was no doubting the way we felt. Neither one of us have any second guesses and all irrationality was stamped out when our hands clasped in front of the altar.

Of course, marraige doesn't make things any eaiser. In fact, marraige is really just the beginning. All the confidence and love in the world won't make a relationship grow and thrive. That takes hard work, commitment, and understanding. I know that we have that. I know that we're in this for the long run and neither one of us could be any happier about that. I love that little woman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position