Thursday, August 11, 2005

Still Moving

It's amazing how much junk one can accumulate in a year. Somehow, I have much more stuff than I thought. I've been moving for three days now (one large bag at a time via the tube...fun) and I still have one more load to go. This is of course going to make my second move in a month oh so much fun, but I think next time I'll just get a cab and skip the multiple Tube rides.

I often make fun of Eurotrash referring to him as the laziest man in the UK. Well, now I know that there is truth to the joke. The area he lives in and that I now live in, Oval, is basically devoid of civilization. Well, ok, that's a bit too harsh, but it's certainly not Earl's Court. There are no late night eating options, no bistros or cafe's, and no hustle and bustle. It's a dead area, not too nice, safe enough, but still not the kind of place you want to really live.

At any rate, he's been complaining for weeks now that there are no grocery stores in the area, so he's been eating at a place called Cottage Chicken. Think KFC reject. The first night I was here, I thought there might be something to his claim. The area does not appear to have a worthy grocer, instead it's littered with dodgy "off-licenses" which are like ghetto convenience stores. So, I hopped online and to look for the closest Tesco. I know this will come as a truly shocking revelation, but there's a Tesco superstore about 10 minutes walking from Eurotrash's flat.

So I went down there today and picked up some groceries. It's a good store and the area is a little nicer than Oval proper. It's on the other side of the Oval Cricket Grounds which is a giant stadium in which they play all the important Cricket games. When I was walking home, I saw some "athletes" practicing for an upcoming match. I was sure I'd seen a few of those in the pub once before. Ok, maybe not really, but clearly to be a Cricket player, you don't have to be an athlete in the sense that you do for most competitive sports. I'll never understand that game. More boring than baseball, yet probably just as popular worldwide. Go figure.

I'm feeling a bit fatigued today. I was out with my neighbors last night. They wanted to take me to their local pub for a farewell drink. After, we went back to their flat and ended up chatting until 2 am. Politics, of course. I'll miss those guys, even if my body will thank me (no more late night drinking sessions with the neighbors). This morning, I had hoped to sleep in a bit, but they're doing construction at the house and there was a series of loud drilling and wood cutting noises being made continually. So, I didn't get enough rest. Then, moving the latest bag of stuff really took it's toll as it was mostly books and heavy items. I think Ms. Colombia is coming over soon for dinner and a movie. A relaxing evening is needed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position