Monday, November 14, 2005

Berlin & Paris

Berlin is the complete opposite of Rome. Everything is new, everything is modern, and the city feels empty compared to the narrow, busy warrens that make up Rome. My experience in Berlin was entirely different from my trip to Rome. While in Rome, I saw many great things and quickly realized that there were more things to see than possible, in Berlin, I quickly realized that there simply isn't much to see. The city had been completely redeveloped since the end of the Cold War and most of the remnants of division are gone. In fact, of all the cities I've visited in Europe, Berlin felt the most American. Wide streets, perfectly orderly traffic, new buildings, and polite residents. In that sense, I was vastly disappointed by Berlin. It just lacked the character of Rome, Geneva, or, as I found out later, Paris.

That being said, a few observations:

- It was a colossal mistake to go with Real World. I don't know why I asked her to go. Probably a soft spot in my heart called "hope", but it was basically a trip that finished our friendship (from my perspective). I've said a lot of negative things about her in this space over the past year, but even with those things, we were still friends. But, that's no longer the case. She did nothing out of the usual - she was just herself, but I found myself loathing her. She is the most selfish, dishonest, narcisstic, paranoid, self-absorbed, addictive, and down-right pathetic individual I've ever met in my entire life. But, I take responsibility for that. I invited her, I knew what I was getting into, and I'm not going to whine about it. Finished.

- We stayed with a family of Germans who were SO nice. They fed us, took us to a party with their friends, let us stay there. It was great. That was probably the best part of the trip.

- The Wall is now reduced to four bits of broken wall. Not exciting. In fact, if you didn't know that the bits were there, you would miss them.

- Everything runs on time and works propery in Germany. Say what you will about the Germans, but they know how to make things work right. Trains, buses, everything. Every bit as efficient as I expected.

- Germany would be better in the summer. It was damn cold and I hate that. But, even still, if anyone asked about going to Berlin versus Munich or some other city, I would steer them away from Berlin. It has no soul, no character.

- German is an awful sounding language. I took one year when I was younger and always liked it. But after going from Italy to Germany, well, it just doesn't compare. (Of course, the Italians sound nice but are pushy and rude while the Germans sound utterly horrid but are polite and extremely nice, so in the end, who give a sh*t.)

- Real World speaks German about as good as she speaks English, i.e. Not very well.

Anyway, I got back to London on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I went to a lecture at school on international law. It was interesting, but not entirely new material. Still, I wanted to go since it was my last opportunity to do that sort of thing. After, some of my former classmates told me that my professor ranted about me and my presentation. Apparently, he told them I was the "best student he ever had". And yeah, I got an A on the dissertation. Sweet. So I felt pretty good about all that.

I went to Paris on Thursday and absolutely loved it. The city is incredible. Just amazing how much to see and do. And, much to my surprise, even with very rudimentary French, I was able to survive without experiencing the "rude French waiter". When I got there, I immediately went to Notre Dame. It's cool, but not other-wordly. Of course, no church is other-worldly after St. Peter's. Then, as I had a few hours, I walked the streets and got to know Paris a little bit.

I stayed with Ms. Colombia's cousin and he was awesome. Really nice. He took me around, showed me many places (Arc de Triumph, Champs Elysee, Eiffel Tower, Montmarte, etc) and it was great. I don't have time to go on and on at the moment, but the point was, I loved Paris and I loved getting to know a future relative. I can't say good enough things about both.

Now I'm back in London. Heading to Chicago tomorrow. I'm very excited. And I'm ready to leave London. But not before I go to Nando's one more time. Speaking of which....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position