Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A question of respect

So I was at work until after 9 pm last night translating a document into English. I´m not complaining about the late hour. I normally work from 8 am to 6 pm and I have no aversion to hard work or long hours, if required.

What I do object to is the fundamental lack of respect shown to the lower level employees by this company´s managers. It is not considered respectful to inform a worker at 6 pm, when he is on the cusp of leaving the office for the night, that he needs to translate a document for the next day. Neither is it respectful to respond to his query of when it is due with "tomorrow morning" nor, when he repeats the question with a request for more specificity (i.e. the hour) is it respectful to respond by practically shouting, "tomorrow morning".

I live in a world of piss poor managers.

Par.

*Update: The backhanded complement.

"Stephen, thanks for translating the Quarterly report. I thought it was better this time. I still made some minor changes..."

Uh, thanks, I guess.

(Btw, anyone realize that I´m not a translater and I´ve only been speaking Spanish for 15 months????)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position