Monday, January 17, 2005

Nobilarity

Apparently, my collective hatred of both the Eagles and the Patriots is enough to ensure that they reach the Super Bowl. Just as well that it's virtually impossible for me to watch the playoffs or the Super Bowl over here, I suppose.

Yesterday was a drab sort of day. Not to mean it wasn't entertaining in part, just not full of adventure as one would like. Laundry and grocery shopping were the order of the day. I did, however, get to catch up on some sports reading which was excellent. I also finished a most incredible book called Killing Pablo. It's the true story of Pablo Escobar, the most notorious drug smuggler and outright criminal (and a total "Evil F*ck") in history. The book really impresses upon you just how totally insane Columbia was (is?) and how futile the War on Drugs truly is (not that it should be stopped simply because it fails to solve, but...).

I also got to talk to some family which was most enjoyable indeed. I do miss my family, that much is for sho'.

Last night was a fairly usual night of restlessness. I was very tired at 11, so I went to sleep, passing into a deep slumber almost immediately (with a dream about being offered a job with the Phoenix Suns - yes, basketball is my obsession). But it was not to be. I awoke around 1 or so and spent the next 3.5 hours awake. Not wanting to waste the entire night, I arose at 2:30 and sat down at my computer and got some work done. I truly don't remember the last time I got a fitfull night of rest, but at this point, I'd settle for 8 consecutive, semi-restfull hours. I'm sure that the "mattress" (read: springs with wafer thin padding) aren't helping much at all.

Today, I'm at work just lovin' it. I was asked last week to do this research task which has turned out to be enormous and they want it done by today. That's simply not possible, at least not to the standards that I set for myself. Still, I'll give them something and explain the problems involved.

Re: Patriots

Your arguments are getting progressively weaker. The Patriots had ALREADY built their field to their advantage. Intentionally waterlogging it would be akin to building a wall in right field the day before Barry Bonds comes to town because you know he crushes the ball to the right. That would be totally unacceptable in MLB just as intentionally leaving a field uncovered during an icestorm should be outlawed in the NFL. The team has an obligation to keep the field in the best condition possible - whether it's an indoor or outdoor stadium. But hey, now that the Patriots have set a precedent, I expect the Colts to grease up the astroturf for next season.

Not that it mattered anyway. If I had used the same formula for predicting an easy Eagles win (great defense stops great offense), I would have taken the Patriots. But reason was overwhelmed by hatred. Just enjoy the dinking and dunking that will dominate the rest of the season with Brady at the helm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position