Monday, February 14, 2005

Movie Review

So I went to my first theater in the UK yesterday. The Prototype and I saw Meet the Fokers. It was an enjoyable film, silly, but enjoyable. They basically have one or two jokes that they beat into submission, but overall, we enjoyed it.

The theater was something like I had never imagined, however. Inside the building, they have not one, but two pubs. Basically, people go in and get tanked prior to watching a film. You can't bring alcohol into the actual theater, but that doesn't stop people from having a few prior to the event. Needless to say, we opted out of that particular plan. They also have lounge areas for people to smoke, read the paper, or whatnot while they wait for the movie to start. It's a much more relaxed, leisure type atmosphere than US theaters. I kind of liked it. Plus, with the student discount, it only cost £5 to see the film, which really isn't to bad for London.

Oddly, they don't do "butter" popcorn over here. No, instead, they have salty and sweet. We weren't inclined to have any. The Prototype has had it before and she says it's ok, but it's just not the same. It will never satisfy the craving, so what's the point. I actually went looking for some microwave popcorn the other day and only found the sweet as well. I do imagine that they sell normal popcorn somewhere, finding it is just a whole nother issue.

I ended up watching Saving Private Ryan last night. What an intense movie. I had forgotten much of the story having only seen it once before. Spielberg did it right with that one.

Today I'm back at work which means that I'm being a bit delinquent in my responsibilities. I don't have a ton to do today, so that's part of the equation. Plus, I needed to sort out the details for the Geneva trip. We lucked out in that our hostel is about 5 minutes walking from the conference site. For some reason, the Swiss still have Swiss Francs instead of the Euro. I don't know how much things cost there (I've been told it's expensive), but the exchange works in my favor. It's 2.25 Swiss Francs to £1. I'm pretty excited to go. Geneva isn't exactly a prime tourist location, but it is a new country for me and I've been told that it's absolutely beautiful. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position