Thursday, June 09, 2005

Clarification

Lest anyone in cyberspace think that I'm currently entrapped in a Monty Python-esque castle full of young nubile virgins who want to have a little "peril", allow me to clarify yesterday's remarks. They were a bit unrefined and crude, to say the least.

The problem I described yesterday in terms of meeting British ladies is accurate, I believe, to a certain point. Sadly, I left out the other half of the equation. For the ladies that do not fit that stereotype, they assume that YOU always will. Thus, even if you meet a nice girl with the best intentions, she's going to automatically assume that you want the quick shag route because it's such a prevalent theme here. And maybe I don't blame girls for thinking that. It's quite clear that there are legions of men in this city that literally just want to shag the next best thing that comes across their way and they're not beholden much to standards of decency, attraction, or self-respect. Several of my friends fall into this category.

I am not, sadly, surrounded by young, nubile, and willing virgins. Instead, there is consensus among several people I have talked to about this, we are surrounded with many potentially available women who are so skittish because they believe that you're only interested in a quick shag that they have impenetrable barriers erected around their personage. I hear ladies complain a lot about how difficult it is to meet a man, but they're part of the problem.

Anyway, another point I wanted to make clear is that the "shag first, relationship second" strategy that is so dominant here is the anti-thesis of what I want and how I operate. That probably has something to do with my inability to connect with a British girl as well. I see my worldview as suitable, they might see it as oddly old-school conservative or that something is wrong with me.

But, none of this discussion should be allowed to continue without some personal responsibility. I confess to not approaching the cute girl I saw at the pub the other night. I confess to not approaching any girls the last time I went to a club. I confess to not approaching a girl I saw at a pub last week. In fact, I confess to completely terminating any attempt to actually meet a nice girl. Call it frustration, call it boredom, call it fatigue - it makes no difference. The last month or so I've so completely taken myself out of the game that I have no one to blame but myself. That's ok. I haven't been stressing about it or really overly concerned about it much at all. But just as I think there is a right way to go about things, one shouldn't completely pull themselves out of the game because you just never know when you're going to meet someone you could actually connect with (look at Ms. Colorado).

What does all this mean? I'm not really sure. I'm tired of going to clubs - they're expensive, loud, and I just don't have that much fun at them these days. The pub seems like a difficult place to meet a girl, but then again, it probably depends on the pub. Some pubs are geared toward people sitting in booths and drinking themselves into Mike Tyson's Bolivian; others are more sociable. School has little to offer and work is a dead end. I need some new ideas. Short of asking every cute girl I see for directions to places I don't want to go, I'm a bit adrift.

At any rate, I'm not sure why I'm thinking about this right now. I have too much to do and not enough time to do it. In fact, none of this would even be in my brain right now if it hadn't been for a conversation at the pub the other night with some classmates. So screw everything I said above. I'm getting the best sandwich in London in less than two hours. It's the little things that matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position