Sunday, August 29, 2004

D'oh!

Somehow, I completely forgot about the Carnivale in Notting Hill this weekend. I don't know if it's going tomorrow or not, but if it is, I'll be sure to make it. It's the largest street carnival in Europe and supposed to be a blast. Note to self: pull head out of ass.

Instead of walking to Notting Hill, I spent most of the day doing school work. Obviously a valuable thing to do, but it wasn't necessary enough to trump a street festival. I did get ahead on my Japan book, so at least I accomplished something.

For dinner I made potatos and chicken. They sell breaded, precooked chicken here that is not that expensive and is decent. You just throw it into the oven for 20 minutes. But, it needs sprucing up, so I bought a tomato and some mozarella cheese. Just before it was finished cooking I added sliced tomato and then topped it off with the cheese. Mmm. Yum.

I then hung out with Joaqen and Amanda (from Columbia) in the kitchen for awhile. Joaqen is a decent guitarist, so he played a bunch of songs while we chatted. Good people here.

The weather is unseasonably cool right now, or so I've heard. It's been gray and cloudy and quite cool the last two days. Supposed to warm up a bit by Tuesday though, which is good, because I'm not mentally prepared for fall to start this soon.

Tomorrow is a bank holiday. I don't know what they're celebrating, but it's probably the strength of their currency! The bank holiday is one of the differences from the US that i've noticed. In the States, we make sure everyone knows why there is a holiday. Here, it's sufficient to just say "bank holiday" and everyone takes the day off. Really, all it means for me is that I can't open an account tomorrow.

There isn't much more to say right now. I have a ton of work to do and since I've been so productive today, I think i'll keep at it a bit longer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

"In the States, we make sure everyone knows why there is a holiday. Here, it's sufficient to just say "bank holiday" and everyone takes the day off."

Haha, good point.

3:34 PM  
Blogger SJH said...

Hehe, haven't met everyone yet, but it is easy to meet people over here. Looks like I chose the right place to live.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position