Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Here we go again...

I'm feeling quite skippy this morning. I'd like to think it's the fact that classes start up again today, but to be completely frank - there's nothing like the clarity of sleep deprived, hangover induced caffination. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

As predicted, work yesterday was slow and boring. I literally did no work in 8 hours, well, for the firm that is. Instead of wasting my time, I did something that needed doing. I compiled a list of 15-20 political consultancies here in the UK with full contact details so that I can send out my CV and covering letter. The sending will wait until tomorrow, but I feel good that I got things organized in a spreadsheet so that I can track the application process.

I had lunch with Real World again, and shockingly, she seems to know no bounds to how low her intelligence can sink. Now, I'm not going to go out there and say she's the dumbest person on the planet or even on this island. She does have a college degree, for example. (Note to self: Self, never send your kids to San Francisco State University.) And I do genuinely think there is a spark of intelligence in there somewhere (Momma always taught me to look for the good in people), but for some reason, it's clouded by pure inanity. We're taking an Arab-Israeli Conflict course this quarter (starting today!) so she's been trying to bone up her background knowledge by reading a book she found about it, which is definitely a good idea since she has a penchant for ignoramity. The discussion that followed, however, clearly suggests that she's only been reading one side...The Palestinian side. Now, no matter where you fall on that particular debate, my point, as I explained to her yesterday, is that when embarking on a quest for knowledge, one should keep an open mind and only make "judgments" after you have heard both sides of an argument. That, apparently is too much to ask. A few choice quotes:

"Man, fuck the Iskraeli. They are bastards."
"I feel bad for the Pakistinians."
"I mean, the Iskraeli took the Pakistinian state right out from them."
"The Iskraeli had all the guns and just shot up the Pakistinians. All they had were rocks."

And yes, the spelling is as close to accurate as I can make it. Even after correcting her several times (PALIstinians fool!) she still continued to ignore the finer details of precisely what these people are called, which I must say, is par for the course. At any rate, it's going to make for a lively class, that's for sure. I think I'll just call it the "Watch the Real World Embarrass Herself Hour" and be done with it.

I had no intention of getting pissed last night or even going out at all. But Eurotrash called around 5 and wanted to meet up at Uni pub. Now, as I'm too poor to go out, I attempted to decline only to be told that, "[he's] buying". Who's going to argue with that? Eurotrash has apparently been going to Uni pub every night because his girlfriend the Immature Sophisticate is doing a semester in Paris and he's obviously bored. Yes, he has a drinking problem.

At any rate, I met up with him around 630 and had a few pints. By 830 or so, the primary bartender bolted leaving Solomon the Rasta Ethiopian to run the show. Solomon is a good guy and immediately hooked me up with a free pint, which is ultimately the reason I got pissed because once the tap is open...Well, neither Eurotrash or I paid for anything the rest of the night.
I have to interrupt this narrative, however, to describe the beer situation at Uni pub. Primarily I drink Stella Artesia when I'm there, which is pretty standard fare in this country. I generally find it just this side of drinkable, but the alternatives make it an easy choice. Also served at Uni pub is Carling - the UK's Budweiser, XXXX - Australia's Budweiser, Budweiser, Hoegaarden - soap flavored ass water, and Guinness - Irish castor oil. Pretty much, if you don't like Guinness, you drink the Stella. Not that I'm complaining, mind you. The price is right, the atmosphere isn't too bad, and it's convenient.

Anyway, back to the story. While at the pub, this youngish American girl was there with her guitar. So, being the gregarious sort, when she got up to leave without playing anything, I stopped her and asked what the deal was. I mean, who brings a guitar to a pub and doesn't play it? So, she played us some tunes and she was good. But, what really impressed me was that I requested Fiona Apple's "Across the Universe" and she played it from memory on the spot. That's pretty damn good. I wished her luck and told her to stick to it. Oh, and she didn't just play the song - she sung it too and pretty much sounded like Fiona Apple.

While at the pub, Eurotrash made a good point, re: the Prototype. I'm obviously free to pursue whomever and I should do that. There's no sense in holding out like a prickly Jim Jackson. But, I shouldn't expect to meet another Prototype any time soon. The odds of that are slanted against me. I may meet someone who is nice and fun, but Prototype's are a rarity. The point? Just keep the option open. You never know when women are involved so don't ignore the option if it arises again just because I might be having fun with someone else. Good advice all round, I thought...

I went with the Windsor knot today. In fact, I poshed up my entire image and I'd have to say I'm looking good and feeling good. Of course, this current state of wakefulness is not sustainable, but I have little option but to power through. Class is at 330 and I don't have time to go home and take a nap after work. For some reason, I have a tendency to make learning more difficult for myself...

Just for DBR: My only reaction to last night's Mavs-Wizards score: "Good God!"

And finally, in reference to the quote from yesterday, no, it's not from the Goodie Mob, although they used almost the same exact quote. As the commenter rightly pointed out, the key word is "sorority". It's actually the first words on Sinead O'Connor's I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got CD. Although, she ultimately stole it from the bible, I'm told. Apparently, it's derived from a psalm. Still, always night to see a Goodie Mob quote (do I hear the Dirty South bein' represented from Chicago?), so I'll end it with my favorite:

"Touched what I never touched before, seen what I never seen before, woke up and seen the sun, sky high, sky high."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, that would be the dirty south being represented in D.C. by a member of the disavowed...

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position