Wednesday, June 15, 2005

And So It Begins...A Rambling Diatribe

Officially, the job hunt is now on. I'm applying to jobs both in the UK and the US. It's the only sensible thing to do. My preference, of course, is to find a good job here that I can excel at for a year or so, but that may not be feasible. Either way, I want good work for good pay.

I'm still a bit in shock about the whole Michael Jackson thang. I fully expected his pedophiliac ass to go down for something. Now, I understand that the mother of the boy who alleged molestation was less than perfect (as totally Fing insane) and the boy's testimony seemed to change a bit, making the entire enterprise a dodgy call at best. But still, I find it totally unreasonable that this child could make something like that up and be so graphically descriptive about it at the age of 13. I know that when I was 13, had I been molested, I would never have wanted to discuss it with anyone, not to mention have my name thrown about the international press for all the world to see.

But more than that, I've read the original complaint from 1993. I saw the Bashir documentary. Jacko is totally wacko, as they say. Some of the jury did say that they found the previous testimony (for which he was not on trial) very compelling and warned him to stop what he's doing, so that says something about the quality of the characters involved in this trial. But I'd have to say, like I've said before, anyone who willingly lets their son into Jackson's demenses, not to mention his bed, after these events should be taken to the town square, publicly flogged, and then disembowled Braveheart style.

One interesting thing over here is that the press is now asking if he should have been tried given the not guilty verdict. That, to me, is a fundamental misreading of the American justice system. Grand juries indict based on evidence they believe to be compelling. They don't hear the defense, only the offense (if you will). Thus, there is never a question that it shouldn't have been tried. For what it's worth, the system worked in this situation. The prosecution could not convince the jury, without a shadow of doubt, that Jacko had committed these acts and they rightly acquitted his Planet of the Apes ass.

Anyway, I'm about to enter hell week. I have three papers due next week (roughly 7500 words total) and a presentation for Monday. I'm way behind. I blame myself. Aside from Friday's adventure with the South African, I expect to spend the rest of the weekend with my nose at my computer and my fingers aboard for the long ride. Sigh. Why do I do this to myself?

Last night, I was dreaming of nothing but drinking tall glasses of ice water. Over and over again, I poured myself a glass of ice water and drained it in one smooth motion. When I woke up at 3 AM I realized there was a desert in my mouth. Two bottles of water later and I was able to go back to sleep. Very odd how the subconscious works.

I'm sort of perturbed at my school right now. I have three real complaints. First, it is not possible for me to do the full thesis. This is something I had counted on and looked forward to (because I'm demented like that). But, my professor dropped the ball. I would have had to submit a thesis proposal to St. Louis last term to have had a chance to do the full thesis. But he didn't inform me of that (I had no idea), he kept reassuring me that it could be done, and then didn't look at the particulars until it was too late. I'm really bothered by this and while I'm not making a big stink, it's really soured me the last two weeks. He should have known better or at least looked into it earlier. I've only been asking him about it for four months.

Second, being a satellite office, they have a horrid financial aid office. Well, maybe they're all bad everywhere, but this time, I'm really perturbed. They failed to inform me that I needed to sign a form in order to receive my last crop of loans. I followed every procedure that I found online and it's not clear that you need to sign this form (I signed it last year and assumed that was good for the full term of my course) to receive aid. Now, once I discovered it earlier today, I filled it out and signed it online, so it's in the works. But I'm skinned as they say here - I don't have much money and I'm depending on that £2000 to get me through to August (and a new flat). I guess I should expect as much. I'll survive, but it would have been much nicer to have that money come through sooner rather than later.

Last, Real World, through an incredible amount of bitching, persevered and received a £915 scholarship. I'm so fed up with her anyway right now that this doesn't help. I inquired in January and was told that they don't give scholarships mid-term, only at your entrance to the program. To find out that she was told that but kept bitching about it until they gave in (six months of whining) really chaps me. I know it's petty, but she shouldn't have received a scholarship in the first place (its' based on academic merit, not need) and they clearly gave her 'hush' money. I certainly could have used that money, but I wasn't willing to lower myself and complain about it until they gave in. The fact that they did sort of makes me wish that I had, until I remember that I would be more similar to Real World and no one wants that. She disgusts me, but I'm too nice to cut off the friendship. Sigh.

Today was a lovely, rain filled chilly day. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be awesome though. I hope so. I only work a half day tomorrow and I don't have school in the afternoon, so if it's nice, I could actually enjoy some of the afternoon in a park with some school work. I need to get some more sun. My tan is fading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position