Sunday, September 04, 2005

Assault

I got assaulted tonight. Eurotrash and I both. We met a friend and went to a pub at Stockwell which is about a 15 minute walk. We didn't have too many drinks, but on the way home, we ended up on the wrong street. So, we decided to take a cut through a neighborhood to get back to where we needed to be. On the way through a neighborhood, a couple black guys started following us and started harassing us. They went away for a minute and then came back. Then they told us to give them our wallets, phones, and jewelry or things would get "rough". We declined. Then, one of them punched me in the face. My glasses went flying. I found them, said, "what the fuck?", then realized that things were worse than I thought. Instead of 2 black guys (which is what it looked like at first) there were 5 or 6. I took off running. I left Eurotrash behind, but I did tell him to "get the fuck out of there". I dialed 999 (the emergency number) and got put on hold. I got up to a main street and found some police. Eurotrash came behind me a few minutes later. We gave descriptions and drove around in the police vans looking for the guys but didn't see them.

We're both ok. We can take a punch or two to the face and survive. And frankly, I'm just happy nothing was stolen and we didn't have a life threatening situation. But I'm so angry. This should not happen. I know there is crime everywhere, but this seemed to be a nice neighborhood.

Anyway, when I was driving around with the police, I found myself in a unique situation. They were asking me to identify black males that I barely got a good look at in the first place. We saw several black males along the way, but there was no way I could guarantee that the ones I saw were the ones that assaulted us. Well, they really didn't look similar at all, but the point is, I could have easily said, "that's the guy," accusing the wrong person, ruining someone's life, and been totally wrong. Instead, I told myself that I would only point someone out if I was sure that it was the person I saw. Since I didn't see anyone that matched up, I didn't ID anyone.

Nice way to start a new job, huh? Roll in with a swollen face from a sucker punch. At least I can get a bit of sympathy. Note to self: Move out of south London. ASAP.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a excellent blog. Keep it going. Here's a subject that interests many; school prayer in regards to information on school prayer

6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position