Monday, February 27, 2006

Why I'm not crazy.

Some people have suggested that going to Colombia on holiday, not to mention to live, study, and work is insane. Sadly, those people, like most Americans, are criminally ignorant of foreign nations. Two articles in the New York Times this month bear out my point here and here.

One thing I found really interesting: Colombia is roughly twice the size of France. Yeah, it's got it's share of violence and conflict, but it's a big country with a lot of it remaining largely unaffected.

Anyway, I just had to shout this out for the moment since I'm excited to get down there and I'm tired of people giving me "that look".

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was told the same thing when I went to the Phillipeans with my wife during a time of riots and the overflow of Marcos. We had no problems, of course, and rarely will anyone with "street smarts" and a hint of common sense. People who question you going to Columbia probably don't have any experience visiting third-world cultures, haven't thought it through and are typically making an emotional reaction instead of thinking about it.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like getting support from someone who can't tell the difference between an "overflowing" toilet and a government dictator being "overthrown". Priceless.

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Must be nice being perfect. I'm impressed. I didn't know George Bush read and replied to this blog.

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position