Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Geneva Wrap Up and More

Two observations about the difference between Geneva and London (aside from the obvious clean air, open spaces, and scenic environs):

1. Clean sidewalks - London is an incredibly dirty city. You can't walk anywhere without stepping in or near something totally nasty. On Monday, while waiting for the Prototype, I nearly stepped in a massive pile of vomit that had been partially washed away by some rain. It's putrescence here all the time. Geneva, on the other hand, is remarkably clean. The sidewalks are spotless...with one notable exception: dog crap. The people of Geneva may be excessively clean, but their dogs are not. You literally have to have one eye on the ground because there's an ever present risk of stepping in a steaming hot pile of fecal matter at any given moment. Once the Swiss figure that part out, then Geneva will truly be the cleanest city on the planet.

2. Alcohol - I've heard this before, but actually seeing it was an eye opener. In London, men drink beer (or liquor) and women drink wine (sometimes beer too). It's almost less manly for a man to drink wine, especially if he's not with a woman (unless it's at dinner where all bets are off). No such thing in Switzerland (or all of mainland Europe I'm told). Instead, everyone drinks wine, the culture appears much less oriented on what is manly, and in general drinking is more of a social phenomenon than the British version of drink until you drop. In other words, people drink in Europe, but they're a lot less manic about it and it's highly noticeable.

Anyway, I have pics that I'll post from the trip at some point but to do so I have to:

A) Download them from the card to the computer, and
B) Actually put a blog entry up from home (and not from work).

When I got back on Saturday, I took a nap and made burritos. They weren't as good as Chipotle, but they were still pretty damn tasty and I've been eating burrito leftovers all week. I met up with Smooth Like Butta' on Saturday night and had a good time. Went home early because I was exhausted.

I met up with the Prototype for drinks on Monday. Nothing new really to report there. We had fun, yada yada. I did learn something new, but in the end, it's probably not that relevant. She and I just seem totally unlikely to hit it off at this point, so I'm looking elsewhere. We'll certainly be friends and I won't disregard the option, but I'm just not going to wait around forever. If she can't give me the type of companionship that I desire, then maybe someone else will.

Work's been a drag this week. Not a whole lot to do. I'm looking for a new job, preferably in Parliament or at a political consultancy. I've seen some jobs advertised in Parliament and I've heard about people getting hired there, so I know it's possible. Today after work I'm going to try to work some connections and see what some of my people can do for me. The law firm deal is highly overrated and, while easily dealable, is ultimately doing nothing for me professionally.

Today is sandwich day and class later. I'm excited. The key to getting the most delicious version of said sandwich is to get the old guy to make it. He's a pro. And yes, it's two ticks past 10 am and I'm already plotting my lunch which is over three hours away. Clearly I have a problem.

Of course, what I really want to know is, when did Samuel L. Jackson decide to turn into Louis Gossett Jr.?

1 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I spend my whole morning thinking about lunch, and my whole afternoon thinking about dinner.

So I'm not sure what that says about you. But you're not alone.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position