Monday, February 28, 2005

Monday mornings are SO fun

Dark clouds roll in; the temperature drops. A cool wind blows; anticipation grows. The first few flakes fall, starting tiny but growing into pebble size puffs of white powdery wetness. Hope builds in your heart; maybe this will be the snowfall we've been waiting for. Now snow is falling so fast and so thick that you can't see straight. Surely this is it. Then, the wind changes, the snow recedes, the temperature warms, the snow melts. And that's when you remember. This is London.

I've been told authoritatively by the Roving Alcoholic that the rest of the country is snowed over. Sadly, London enjoys no such fate. It is blustery and objectionably cold, but that's the norm, I suppose.

Anyway, my weekend of fun is finally over. I wrote over 4,000 words. I was in a pissy mood on Saturday because I had not done anything fun and I had not been that productive. Really, what's the point in staying in and trying to work if you're not going to get anything done? But, I got really productive Saturday night and Sunday and I've (mostly) finished two of three papers. I even started the third paper which made me feel good.

Over the weekend I also considered, researched, and discounted a PhD program in Budapest. Not that I'm committed to pursuing a PhD. It's a huge sacrifice in terms of time and money and I'm not sure that I would want to do it. But I do think about it. Mostly I'm really quite unsure where I'm going to be after this MA is over and done with, so I spend an inordinate amount of time looking at various avenues. The bottom line is, I want to get paid and not in the Tu Pac sense ("I made a G today/Yeah, but you made it in a sleazy way/Hey, I gotta get paid/That's just the way it is...").

Tomorrow is March 1st which means we can put the hellacious February behind us and start looking forward to good times and by that I mean warm times. I shouldn't complain too much as DC is looking at 6-10 inches of snow today and I'm sure other areas of the US are getting hit hard too, but I'm damn tired of being cold all the time. They just don't have proper heat in this country.

Apparently the Oscars were on last night. I can say with a certainty that I am completely out of it in terms of American pop culture. The only movie I know anything about is "Ray" and reading the discription of "Million Dollar Baby" the winner for Best Picture and Best Director prompted this reaction: "Are they actually serious?" I mean, it could be a great movie, but the plot summary frankly looks moronic. Let's see, washed up boxing trainer finds trailer trash, trains her to box, and they find enlightment. Of course the always modest Clint Eastwood quipped that he's glad he didn't get "hobbitized" this year, a weak ass explanation for why his Mystic River movie didn't win last year. Perhaps at some point Hollywood will just accept that the Lord of the Rings was a great series of movies and deserved every accolade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position