Thursday, February 24, 2005

Snow and Rain

It's been snowing off and on in London the last few days. It's supposed to get worse over the weekend. I must admit, I was pretty excited in class yesterday because we can see Regent's Park from the window and it was getting a light dusting. Sadly, after it stopped, all the snow seemed to melt away and leave frigid wetness behind. London doesn't get much snow although the rest of the country has had quite a bit. I figure if it's going to be freezing, it may as well dump a little snow on us just to be usefull. Otherwise, what's the point of 30 degree weather? I don't expect it to actually accumulate, no matter what these Londoners tell me.

Class was pretty enjoyable yesterday. We had a really good session. Unfortunately, he allowed the class to vote on whether we should watch the video he was going to show or wait until next week. My side lost and class got out early. This is one of those classic "eat your peas and carrots before your steak" moments. By delaying the video until next week, we're likely to have to spend more than 4 hours in the classroom. Plus, the video was tied directly into the lively discussion we were having and I wanted to lock in that knowledge with actual footage. Personally, I'd rather sacrifice in the short term to win in the longer term, but that wasn't the prevailing mood. The Manchester United-Chelsea game may have had something to do with it.

Anyway, after class, Eurotrash and I went to Uni Pub as is our tradition. Fortunately, Real World decided to go home. She's all over the place in school right now, no focus, no idea what she's really writing her papers on or anything - and she's supposed to present her paper next week in class. Not good. Yesterday, she went to Selfridges (don't ask me - overpriced departments stores are not good for the wallet) and purchased about 10 books on the Palestinian problem. She wants to write about it, but she's completely unfocused. So not only was it good for her to go home so that she could work on that business, but it also had the dual benefit of meaning that she wouldn't be getting rowdy at the pub and generally being an annoyance. Because she's a horrible drunk and I'm in no mood to deal with that anymore.

The pub was fun but I drank too much and have had a headache all day today. I'll take the blame for that, but Eurotrash is a great facilitator. He drinks fast. And he buys rounds. So before you're even halfway done with your beer, he's got another on in front of you. Of course, normally I would have enough medicine to deal with a headache, but today is a crisis day. It seems that after 6 months my carefully fortified cache of Excedrin Migraine has run out. I'm not entering the dangerous world of purchasing British headache medicine. Be afraid, be very afraid.

I had to get up at 730 this morning for about 10 minutes. The Prototype was getting a landline installed in her flat today and she asked me to open it up for the phone guy when he came. Of course I said yes and of course that meant I had to go claim the key at 730 in the freezing ass cold and rain. Not good times. The dude called me at about 1 and it took about 30 minutes. Not too bad really. Initially I thought I was going to have to camp out there all afternoon, but the Prototype squared that away.

Tonight I'm doing school work. In fact, I'm likely to do school work all weekend. I have a fair amount to do and I'm not as far ahead as I prefer to be. Plus, I'm not much in the drinking mood right now (for obvious reasons as blood pulses about me head) and I don't want to piss away money. I need to make a decision about my semester break as well. I can go to Marseille return for 50 pounds, but I need to locate a cheap hostel and figure out what it's really going to cost me to do that for four days. There are a couple other alternatives as well, but Marseille has the advantage of being on the Med and being in France, two things that I want right now. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position