Monday, April 25, 2005

Feeling quite horrid

I've been fighting illness for awhile now - mostly just a cold/cough. The cold part left, the cough stayed. Now I'm onto the next phase. I woke up feeling as if I had been sequestered in a room full of tuberculosis infected homeless clowns who did nothing but breath on me for 24 hours. When I got to work, the aches and pains associated with the flu began and I'm fairly sure I have an elevated temperature. That's the bad news.

The good news is that the medicine I took for a "chesty cough" seems to have worked sufficiently. Plus, I only have to work a half day, I got here late because of a tube delay, and I'm down to two hours left. So, I'm going to head home at 1, grab a couple hours of rest, and if I feel up to it, go into class at 5. If not, well, it will be the first class I've missed since the first quarter of the program (aka, since October).

In other news, I decided to attend my graduation ceremony. I was going to skip it because I'm not really into the whole ceremony thing and it's not like I'm actually graduating yet anyway. But I must explain. See, the school I attend has rolling admissions. You can start any time during the year (five different starting points, that is). So, everyone finishes at different points. To resolve that, they have one graduation ceremony a year, in May, in which anyone expected to finish the program by the summer session is cleared to attend. That means me.

Anyway, I wasn't going to go because I didn't want to spend £35 on the cap and gown rental and because I'm not actually graduating in May. But, I decided to attend for three reasons:

1. My professor guilted me into it - A series of jokes about £35 not being much money and about how he would be there and he would be very disappointed if I was not there softened me up.

2. There's a yearly award for the top graduate student that I have apparently been nominated for and it would look bad if one of the nominees was not at the ceremony (not to mention if I happened to win the damn thing).

3. I know my Mama would like me to attend and get pictures and things of that nature and you gotta take care of yo' Mama.

So, I sucked it up and signed up (late, but still ok to go). At least they feed us afterwards.

This illness escalation has left me feeling highly pugalistic at the moment. I blame myself because I didn't take care of myself over the weekend as I should. Still, I think the world would suddenly be a better place if I could just take out my hostility on something (like a punching bag since I'm the lilly white, non-violent type). Hopefully I'll feel a bit better this afternoon and won't miss class. I hate missing class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position