Tuesday, April 12, 2005

My morning

Pain. Never ending pain racks my body as I slowly awake from distant slumber. Like a baby kicking and screaming as it's brought into a cold new world, I slowly rise from my coffin like bed with the realization that if I do not, I will not be able to eat.

Scalding hot water cascades down on my shriveled flesh, steam rising to clog my breathing passages and obscure my vacant stare. Slowly, I reach for the shampoo and begin the morning ritual of clean. Quickly, for I'm late again, I eviscerate the dirt and grime of yesterday and emerge from the shower shiny and new. Nose dripping, I blow dirty gray barnacles idly wondering how many toxic carcinogens I inhale walking the streets of London every day.

Scraping a razor across my brittle flesh in a desperate attempt to destubblize my face, I feel woozy from exhaustion. Glancing around, I wonder if anyone has ever passed out shaving, hit their head on a bureau behind them, causing the blade to slide forward into neck, slicing jugular, and bleeding out. Admitting there was a possibility, I attempt to focus on the task at hand - getting as many nicks and cuts to match the razorburn as possible. Finally satisfied, I dress slowly and without direction.

An apple and a cup of cranberry juice make my morning ritual complete. I eat perfunctorily, without interest, yet with the knowledge that if I don't, I will consume my desk at work. Finally, I select a shabby red hand-me down tie and manage to secure it around my neck on the second try. A black jacket donned to fight the morning chill and I'm off to surf through the human morass that is the morning tube ride.

I need to get more sleep. Yet, I know that I cannot.

My life is out of balance and I have little means to restabilize things at the moment. If I had my way, I would have slept half the day and spent the other half with Miss Colombia. But as with much in life, I can not have my way. Instead I have to toil mindlessly at a job that a Neanderthal could adequately survive, vigilantly on the watch for drool drippings as I hang my head in disgust and fatigue.

I need a vacation from myself.

If I had known that three classes in one term was going to put me in such a state, I may have reconsidered. A snapshot of yesterday:

-Rise 800
-Work 930-100
-School work 200-500
-Class 500-915
-Work at home 945-300

That's no sort of life. But I have little choice. If I had been a little less social over the weekend and a little more dutiful, I would not be in such a state. But I wasn't, so here I am. There has to be a way to find balance between work, school, social life, and personal time. Because I'm tired the zombie life.

Now if you'll excuse me, I must go hook up an IV drip of caffeine.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I'd better not take on the second job I've been considering.

I'll end up in your state. Sounds like you need another holiday in Brighton.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position