Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Rambling Incoherence

Yesterday's post was remarkably rambling and incoherent. Let's see if I can make it two for two.

I forgot to talk about the most beautiful Weimeraner I saw on Sunday. He was so adorable, I just wanted to run and play with him. Unfortunately, his owners were having a lovers' quarrel and I was unable to even pet the hound, but he knew. He gave me the most longing stare (reminiscent of a certain super size Ridgeback!). I love those dogs.

Two words. There are at least two words you never want associated with your name. And there are now two words that Real World is becoming all too familiar with. Two words: Restraining Order. In short, she's psycho. I think whoever it was that said I should just cut it off with her was spot on. Unfortunately, now she's like gangrene; take off the foot to take out the infection. Anyway, she apparently has been "harassing" her ex to the point that the police have issued a "harassment warning", which best I can tell, is somewhat equivalent to a restraining order in the US. I thought she was done with emailing him and whatnot, but, once again, I forgot the first rule of dealing with a liar, cheat, and charlatan - she's a liar, cheat, and charlatan. Don't believe me? I'll relate a little tale that I think is a fair snapshot.

Real World and I shared a hostel at Geneva in February. I paid for it all on my credit card because she didn't have the money and I was to get reimbursed anyway. The school agreed to pay us each £60 to defray the costs. So, since the receipt would cover both of us, I would get £120 and we would be square. Me, being the admin type, waited until yesterday to file the paperwork (just under 2 months, thank you very much). I explained that I was actually needing to get reimbursed for two so it would be £120. They had no problem, signed the form, sent me on my way to the bursar to get my money. They didn't have that much cash, so I was instructed to return on Friday. I happened to run into Real World on the way downstairs, so I briefed her on the situation. Her response? "I already got reimbursed. I used my airplane receipt." Say what? Where's my £50 then bitch? Not to mention she's still £50 in the hole from when she borrowed money to pay the rent. I would wonder if she was going to tell me or even try to square out that debt, but I don't have to. I know the answer is absolutely no.

Not only is she willing to screw over her "closest friend in the UK", however, she's also willing to screw over the University. My immediate reaction (after "where's my money, bitch?") was, I have to go change the form and straighten that out because I don't want to take the Uni for an extra £60. It wouldn't be honest and Mama taught me better. Her reaction? "Why don't you just get the £120 and we'll be square." Low moral character aside, that's plain foolish. The Uni accounting department may be slow, but they're not incompetent. Even aside from the moral claim, the practical element is very clear - if you steal, they will find you eventually and you will have to pay the piper. Then again, none of this surprises me. Merely, it crystallizes an ever present opinion that I have of her in succint fashion.

I've never met someone more morally bankrupt, disrespectful, and downright foolish than this particular individual and my patience is wearing thin. I'm not the most patient man in the world (and that's a huge understatement) and I'm about out of what I got. So the plan is, get the money she owes me, continue to separate myself from her social circle, but remain on a friendly basis with her. I'll never throw people away totally, but I'm equally not going to continue to expose myself to people that are little more than the refuse of a broken society. (Ouch that's harsh.)

I'll spare you the moments of torture involving Real World and her presentation - just know that I'm lucky to still have two eyes because I was dangerously close to stabbing out my left eye with my pen in a desperate ploy to either get out of there, pass out from the pain, or simply expire so that I no longer had to listen to whatever it was that she was saying. (Aside, I threw the "cheat" word in the description from above because I'm fairly sure she plagarizes constantly.) Anyway, after class, I went to the pub for a couple pints (ok 3) with Eurotrash. I wasn't really in the mood to drink (more tired than anything), but I hadn't seen him in almost two weeks and I desperately needed to talk to someone who has the official Homer Simpson "Sane" stamp on his forehead. He has even less tolerance for Real World, so we griped a bit before heading home fairly early.

Of course, I didn't want to go to bed right away because I'm a night owl, so I went over and visited my neighbors. They were in good spirits and we had a lively discussion about the Pope and the Catholic Church, something likely to make its way to this spot tomorrow. They also gave me a set of pictures they had taken over the last month or so of us all hanging out (mostly getting pissed) which I thought was really nice. Since I was up way too late and I'm coming off a weekend in which I didn't get proper rest, today I'm, once again, pretty damn tired and not really interested in doing much work. I'm going to have to struggle to get to 6pm, but in the end, it's worth it. My time in this country certainly has a limit and I feel that I should make the best of it in the ways that are right for me. So if that means staying up to 2 am because you're having a lively chat with your Irish and British neighbors even though you have to be up for work at 8 am, well, it's a price I'm willing to pay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position