Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Having a lay about

I'm in a pretty good mood today for a number of reasons.

First, my illness broke late Monday night/early Tuesday morning. I can always tell when I'm on the road to recovery because I get hungry, and I got ravenously hungry. I had been forcing myself to eat, but this time I didn't have to.

Second, I totally kicked ass on my exam and paper and now I'm done for a month. The paper was slow in coming, but things finally clicked. I do like school, but the break will be good to have.

Third, the weather turned mild; it's no longer the 7th circle of hell. Instead, it's warmish, sunnyish, and the air even smells fresh.

Last, I stayed up and watched some hoops last night, Denver vs. Philly and it was fantastic. Well, the game actually wasn't, but just watching some basketball was great. It also had the side benefit of me calling out of work "sick", which I thought was fair since I am still technically sick and I needed the rest.

That being said, I had some thoughts on the tube yesterday that I thought I'd throw out. I asked myself, what is my ideal woman? What am I looking for? This is what I came up with:

1. Cuteness - I put this first for a reason. If there is not physical attraction, there's no chance of a relationship. Been there, done that. Cuteness is a must - dark hair better than light, short hair better than long, silky/smooth hair better than tangled/thick. (Ok, I'm obsessing about the hair.) Also a must is a cute smile, because I'm a sucker for a cute smile.

2. Smarts - There are two types of smarts that I require. On the one hand, she must be smart enough to hold her own in conversation, keep me interested, etc. But on the other hand, she must be smart enough to check my ass (not like in a looter in a riot, though) when I talk out my ass. This is best found in a little sassy/sarcastic streak.

3. Easy laugh - Humorless people should be put out of their misery.

4. Dreams - For better or for worse, I'm a romantic - I like to believe in things, ideas, people, the Washington Redskins, you name it. Total realists will fail the test because I need a woman that's equally a dreamer, a grounded dreamer, but someone who has true passion about life and the path that she's on.

That being said, why am I telling the world this? It isn't like this blog serves as an internet dating service or anything. No, I'm writing this because I was listening to Outkast the other day, as I have a penchant to do, and this lyric registered in my brain:

"I hope that you're the one, if not, you are the Prototype."

And that's what the Real Deal is. So, in an effort to evolve the name game, and clear up any confusion between Real World and the Real Deal, the Real Deal will now be referred to as the Prototype.

A few final notes:

- Ten Minutes before the start of our International Political Economy exam, Real World turns to me and says, "What is the World Trade Organization?" I was speechless. We only spent 4 hours of class time on the WTO. So, needless to say, when she came out of the exam, her statement that "I aced that" did not inspire confidence.

- Yesterday in class, we were getting into a discussion about racial profiling and I made this very narrow argument that terms like that require data to support, not mere supposition. In support of my claim, a study of Montgomery county in Maryland about traffic stops. The study concluded that blacks were being ticketed more often (on a percentage basis) that whites, but that it was not profiling, it was the vast numbers of blacks that travel through the county into DC, PG county, or Virginia.

Apparently, one of my classmates, who is black and from the US, didn't like that much. Now, I don't have much respect for this particular individual because: a) she's not bright, b) she incessantly whines about how the program doesn't have any Africa classes (which she knew before hand), and c) she's adds no value to the class or any social situation. So when she said, "I disagree!" I was taken aback. What did she disagree about, I asked. Was it the study? Was it my argument that we need data before leveling those types of accusations? Fortunately, my professor intervened before I ridiculed her dumb ass. If profiling does exist (and I believe it does), then we should ardently call for data. Otherwise, what's the point?

At any rate, today is a pretty leisurely day of laundry and web surfing. I have to catch up on my sports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position