Thursday, December 23, 2004

No posts for a reason

I haven't posted in a couple days for the simple reason that there has been nothing to report. The Prototype and I were supposed to go out on Tuesday, but either she forgot or ditched me on purpose (she says she didn't think we had plans to go out, just talk and I'm inclined to trust her - she's always been honest with me). We are, however, meeting up for drinks after work today and I'm quite excited for that. I thought that she was being dodgy after last Saturday/Sunday and maybe she was. The last time that happened, she felt guilty (as many a loyal reader suggested) and she pulled away. Without getting into too many gory details, we talked briefly about our situation and it's as I described the other day: war between head/heart, need job, take things slow. We're going to talk more about it tonight as we were cut off the other night due to a shortage of minutes on my mobile phone.

I realize this blog has turned extremely personal. That was not my intent, although I do understand why it has occurred. At some point, this blog evolved into something bigger than a travelogue and I'm content with that. In fact, I derive a great deal of pleasure from writing these entries, even if I don't have a ton to say. But now that my travel season is nearly upon me, I'm sure I'll have more startling stories than simply emotional diatribes about my so-called love life.

That being said, as I am currently at work, I've been thinking a lot about what I want to do after this master's program is over. I don't think I have any concrete answers, but I can say, non-paying starvation style non-profit jobs are out. I've been poor too long and I'm getting poorer just being here. At this point, I want to come out of my program with five years of professional experience, a master's degree, and a drive to succeed. That should add up into a nice paying job. There are essentially two industries that interest me: politics and business. My plan over the next 10 months is to continually research companies and organizations that interest me, generate a list of places to apply upon my return, and be ready to go when I get back (wherever I end up and whenever that is).

Did I mention I'm poor? I think the words "nearly broke" are a proper fit. After my holiday travels, I'm going to have several weeks of frugal living ahead of me until I get funding and pay at the end of January. Fun. Anyway, I'm looking to move to a cheaper area with a better place. The area I've seen nice deals is near Algate East, which is the East part of The City, which is essentially where I am now. You might be more familiar with the name "Whitechapel", if only because just over a hundred years ago a man name Jack went around killing prostitutes there. That being said, it's not that dodgy these days, the flats are nice, and they're cheap because they're all refurbished "council flats" (which is essentially like public housing in this country). I'm a little nervous about the area, but I'm going to go down their on Friday afternoon and take a look around. If it looks good and things work out, I'll target the end of January for my move. If not, I'll be stuck in good ole William Temple House with the tyrannical, multi-personality overlords that rule the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position