Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Say What?

I'll be honest here. I haven't had enough time lately to keep on top of the US sports scene. The last two weeks have been totally nuts with work and school. Going out on Friday night was probably a bad idea time wise, but I found it central to maintaining my sanity. Everyone needs some time off from the books, even if you have two papers and an exam due in three days.

So when I booted up the Washington Post the other day, my reaction to seeing that the Giants had signed Antonio Pierce was a lot like Jerry when Cush told him he was switching agents. Maintain your dignity, get off the phone, throw a tantrum. Then we lost Fred Smoot to the Vikings. I'd say my reaction was more like Ed Norton when he realized Tyler Durden was himself. Add that to losing our top wideout to the Jets (in exchange for the NFL's 'mighty mouse') coupled with all the TRULY nasty things that Dan Snyder said (read today's Washington Post - what an evil fuckstain) and I think my beloved Redskins franchise resembles Kevin Costner's acting career - pridefully, arrogantly, inexorably, spinning out of control. I did not expect this. Franchise's are supposed to build on success, not throw it down the drain. But I suppose that Snyder's penchant to throw around money like a bachelor at a stag party meant that someday, the piper had to be paid. This appears to be the day.

Now, instead of drafting a greatly needed defensive lineman, the Redskins are poised to draft a replacement cornerback (Rolle from Miami - just you watch) - assuming that big, dumb, and slow Mike Williams is off the board (taken by Minnesota - wait for that). (And yes, he is dumb. He gambled his college career on a hope and a prayer that a court would rule him eligible to be drafted last season - and lost. What a dolt.) Anyway, I sadly see the continual demise of the Redskins franchise. Seeing San Diego's success does make one wonder what could have been had the impetuous Napoleanite in power not axed Coach Marty and given it a couple years. Worst of all, Coach Gibbs' reputation is likely to be tarnished in the process which, combined with the re-realization of his rampant and evangelical Christianity is enough to sour the stomach on Redskins football forever. (Not that that could ever happen - I mean, it's the REDSKINS.)

On top of all that, the entire sports world seems to be going nuts. Today on ESPN, there's not one, but TWO feature articles on a role-playing rebounder from Seattle that averages less than 25 minutes a game, a review about a new poker book, a feature article about cricket, and a new Page 2 columnist who thinks there should be a women's sports network. I'll repeat what Ripley asked when being queried about her decision to destroy the Nostromo, "Have IQs suddenly dropped while I was away?"

All I'm asking for is an Ash Williams, "Give me some sugar baby" kind of moment and instead I'm getting is a Dark Helmet, "It's gone from suck to blow!" kind of moment.

Ok, sports rant over.

Yesterday I did a big favor for a mate of mine and researched UK landlord-tenant law so that a friend of his can get out of a lease he signed. In repayment, he wanted to take me out for some drinks last night. I went along, even though I probably should have gone home. He drinks Vodka-Redbull, which isn't a bad tasting combination, but it leads to you blowing Redbull flavored wind both North and South. Plus, it has the added effect of being the most caffeinated beverage this side of an IV drip which means after a few, you're going to be up most of the night no matter how much Vodka was involved (and in this case, not much). As a final icing on the cake, combining an upper (redbull) and a downer (vodka) risks sending your heart into a continual flutter, which makes it truly shocking that no one has reportedly died of a heart attack from this noxious concoction since they drink it like it's Georgia sweet tea.

Needless to say, I don't normally drink this stuff because all of the above is distinctly unpleasant. But I did last night. And, guess what, I was up most of the night. Refusing to waste the time, however, I got up at 1 and worked on this paper for a couple hours. I finally went back to sleep at about 4. Good to be rested. Fortunately, I'm actually not that tired today (adrenaline no doubt) and I think I'll be able to finish the Food Aid paper tonight (due Friday) which would only leave me to finish the Camp David paper by Monday (although I want to turn it in on Saturday so I can be done with the quarter).

So, long story short: Washington area sports falling to pieces, school term rapidly concluding, frequently breaking redbull flavored wind.

George Bush quote of the day: "It should be clear that authoritarian rule is not the wave of the future; it is the last gasp of a discredited past." He's a poet and didn't know it.

The cover of the new economist: George Bush, right arm raised in a quasi-Hitler salute with the words, "Merci, ya'll!" next to it. I can't tell you how funny the Brits think it is when I say that in a deep Texan accent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position