Thursday, March 03, 2005

Shadows and Dust

I may have mentioned this previously (and if I did, then this replay speaks to a personal, undeniable, depravity), but there is a new study out that unequivocally states that eating dark chocolate is the most effective way to combat a cough. The scientists isolated an enzyme found in dark chocolate (and to a lesser, diluted extent in milk chocolate as well) that is upwards of 100 times as effective in remedying a cough than codeine. Like I needed another excuse...

Yesterday's presentations were fairly embarrassing. The Kuwaiti Royalty girl was pretty solid and the professor merely suggested that she reorganize her paper, but the following 3 were downright awful. Well, awful is too strong for the Guy from Ghana and The Nigerian. Both of theirs contained solid info but were ultimately unfocused. The prof sorted them out. Real World, however, was another story.

I feel that I must explain something that is probably obvious about this character, yet should be spelled out. She's in it for the little guy. Right or wrong. So, in an Israeli-Arab conflict class, guess who she thinks is 100% wrong and 100% right. Her outright defiance to even listen to arguments from Israel's perspective demonstrates a clear lack of academic integrity, not to mention intelligence, but also does a disservice to "her" cause. See, Real World's presentation and paper topic was on torture. She wanted to discuss the Intifada (1987-1993), what the causes were, and what tactics Israel used to get information from prisoners - namely torture. So, her explanation of this to the class was overly generic and vague on all points except the torture point, where she had found several Arab sites with statistics on torture that NO ONE else in the world agrees with (not even Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch). And really, there's nothing like getting bombarded with spirited propaganda from the least credible sources.

Our professor, being the astute and experienced veteran that he is, gently informed her that while she cares a lot about the issue and that is laudable, she would simply not be able to substantiate the claim because there is no evidence for torture. He then instructed her to focus on the cause of the Intifada and gave her pointers. What really was bothering me (and I wisely swallowed this one) is that there was NO ARGUMENT in her "paper". I mean, a 15 page one-off FYI about some torture that may or may not have happened a good paper does not make. The whole point is to write an explanation to a series of events, not to pontificate and castigate one side because you think they're the devil. I wouldn't have been bothered by this much (because normally that's PAR with this character) except that we had several conversations about this prior to yesterday and we exchanged several emails in which I gave her very specific comments (which were very similar to what our professor said). But, once again, she completely ignored me. Why do I even try, I wonder.

Dogma, such as it is, I think is entirely unhealthy. To give yet another example, Real World explained to me the other day that the Intifada was caused because the Palestinians wanted to get revenge on the Israelis for everything they had done to them. That statement was so bad that I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Not only that though, she claims to have read the entire textbook for the class, so when she told me that, I asked her directly if she read the chapter on the Intifada. She said yes. At this point, I lost my cool a little bit and very sardonically said, "Then how could you possibly think that the Intifada was caused by a desire to get revenge? Did you NOT read the part about frustration and about how the PLO used that frustration to generate violence as part of a specific political strategy?" Her response was muted at best.

Lest ye think that I abhor this woman or spent most of my time castigating her, be it known that without this forum to vent this frustration, I would probably go postal on her. I am optimistic about her future, I just wish she would untie herself from certain habits. Case in point, the story I related yesterday. But there is also an identity politics issue that is so fucking obnoxious that I really have trouble listening to her at times. Everything with her is about race. She identifies with the Palestinians because she's a "black woman used to having to fight for what [she] get[s]." Which is a total lie. Previous generations certainly fought for equality, but Real World sure as hell didn't. No, instead she spent her youth imbibing large quantities of alcohol and drugs, divorcing her parents, sleeping around, and ignoring the glaring hole inside herself that she could never fill up with those types of exploits. Do I have no sympathy to her nervosa? Of course not. (That's a double negative, meaning that of course I have sympathy.) But that sympathy does not extend to the point that she can deploy the race card as the ultimate trump to any and every argument. It does not mean that she gets to say disparaging things about "those Jews". And it sure as hell doesn't mean she has ANY idea whatsoever what it's like to be a Palestinian.

So, as you can imagine, I don't spend a ton of time hanging out with her because it's just too frustrating.

Anyway, I was supposed to go to the British Library today but I ended up not having enough time. Between paying rent, filing some financial aid forms, and other unpleasantness, the narrow window that closes at 5 pm (when I have to go to this speech on the future of the WTO) became too narrow to be of use. Instead, I'll go on Saturday. I have to give my paper presentation on Monday. I would have been well prepared anyway (because that's just what I do), but after seeing the flaws in yesterday's presentation, I have some specific ideas about how to avoid some of the pitfalls. I'm sure he'll still have guidance for me (which I appreciate), but I don't want to look like a fool. Two out of four presenters yesterday requested that I not ask questions. Four out of four presenters were forced to answer questions from me. So, I'll be ready to be grilled (bring that shit on).

Today I have yet another dull, ringing headache. I believe this is the 3rd day in a row. Normally it wouldn't be a problem. One or two Excedrin Migraine's later and you're rolling pain free. But these cheap British drugs are virtually useless. I went to Boots yesterday and bought some "migraine" medicine, which is really ibuprofen. In fact, I looked at every package of headache medicine and it was ALL ibuprofen. I'm going to have to find another drug store...

1 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

Two of them actually requested that you keep quiet about their presentations? I assume this was done publicly because they had to answer to you anyways. What did the Prof say to those silly, lazy requests?

I highly doubt you'll look like a fool. You're on top of everybody's subjects, gave pointers to Real World that your professor echoed, and generally set a higher standard for your work than your classmates do for themselves.

All this while drinking and carousing and getting sick. My compliments. Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.

I can imagine one of them trying to vindictively snipe you with a bizarre question, to which you would respond with scathing bluntness that the question is silly and completely unrelated to the topic at hand. Yeah.

I take it you haven't had any contact with the Prototype since you returned from Geneva?

11:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position