Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Dog's Ass

That's what I felt like when I woke up this morning...the dog's ass. So, I called out of work sick. I hate doing that because I've done it like three times this year already, but there was no fighting it. I needed more rest. I finally got up around 1 and feel marginally better. At least I feel like I'm recovering, which is a good thing.

I ended up going home after work yesterday. Well, I stopped and got a tasty chicken wrap from my favorite sandwich shop. This illness has not taken away my appetite, so I figured if I was hungry it was best to eat. When I got home, I took a 2 hour nap and then got up and went to school. I really felt horrible but I hate missing class, especially when you think that I pay like 115 pounds ($230) per class session. I stopped at the Boots and got some all-in-one type drugs which seemed to help marginally.

Class was sort of interesting, but I was having trouble concentrating. People were giving presentations, one of which was good, two of which were ass bad. The Cliché gave a presentation on the World Bank, IMF, and WTO. Instead of talking about the legal aspects (it is an international law class), she went on for an hour about the history of the organizations and needed reforms. It was really a bad idea (the Prof was pissed) and also not even that smart. I took a whole class on that and I found her conclusions to be startlingly bad, primarily because, even though she is a cliche, she's a pretty smart cliche and I expect more.

The truly great presentation (sarcasm added) was Real World's. I was shocked that she even showed up for class, I thought she was going to quit the program. But there she was, acting as if last week had not happened, giving a presentation on the Right to Self-Determination. Now, no surprises here, but for Real World, it's always about race. So, instead of talking about self-determination, she split her time between that and non-discrimination. And, she blamed the entire colonial system on white, European racism against "minorities". Now, I have been reading the 'End of Poverty' and I have to say, race obviously played a role in justifying the colonial system, but it was primarily an economic system that worked for those who were already economically powerful. But, I wasn't surprised by her argument because it's always about race and anyone who disagrees with her is racist (or some such sophomoric BS like that).

Anyway, during the question-answer session, I was writing notes with The Tease, as we are wont to do when we are bored. Yeah, it's a little junior high, but at some point, you have to tune people like Real World out or you're going to go postal. Real World, though, having zero self-confidence, assumed we were making fun of her and her presentation (we weren't) and blurted out, "[Tease] do you have something to share with the class since you're passing notes?" This caused two immediate reactions, me giving Real World the "f*ck you" look and The Tease and I immediately making fun of her in our note passing.

We had a break right after that and Real World walked up to me acting like everything was normal. She asked me a question to which my response was, "You can pretty much piss off after that little incident. That was totally inappropriate and I can't believe that you of all people would call someone out in class for passing notes. I'm in no mood for that type of childish crap today." I was pissed off and I still am. She can go F herself for all I'm concerned. She apologized via text message later in the night, but I don't care. I've been nothing but a good friend to her, supportive and helpful and she's been nothing but dead weight and an ungrateful bitch. I wish her the best, but I'm done giving a sh*t.

Anyway, I'm glad I went to class. I got my first paper back and ended up getting the maximum number of points , so I felt pretty good about that. New professors always make me nervous because you don't know how they're going to grade. I shouldn't have worried, but my worry did cause me to work harder on the second paper, so hopefully I'll have a repeat performance. If things go well in that regard, it would be almost inconceivable that I did not ace the class which would certainly be a minor triumph since I don't like the class that much and it's historically been difficult to motivate myself in classes that I don't enjoy. I suppose that's called maturity.

Today I am going to continue to rest and work on my 2nd paper for my US Foreign Policy class. It's not due until next week but I want to turn it in on Thursday so that I have less to worry about and I can focus on my two finals. Plus I have a big paper (3000-4000 words) I need to write this weekend on Korea and the Sunshine Policy. So the hits keep rolling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position