Thursday, June 30, 2005

House Nazi

The saga continues. On top of not ever having water that the average person originating from a developed economy would deem hot, not to mention warm, the house is now in full disaster mode. It didn't always used to be this way, I'm told. In fact, the narcissistic trend toward total totalitarianism by the Warden is a relatively new phenomena, even if it's particularly nasty in product.

I've previously mentioned my friend being rejected a place in the house because of his sexual orientation. There's another incident to add to the list. Sunday was the Golden Jubilee party for the house - 50 years ago, they started William Temple House. It was a big gala from the Warden's perspective. He invited previous residents and encouraged residents to invite professors, parents, and even embassy representatives. Of course, he still expected the students to cook for all these people, which not only is classless and pathetic, but was never mentioned to anyone prior to a week ago. When people blanched, he got irate and issued a threat that is altogether too familiar. If you don't go to the party, you won't be offered a spot back in the house come August. It's a frequently bandied threat from the Warden. Everything is, "Do X or get kicked out." In fact, it's to the point that it's more surprising when you don't hear about someone being threatened in a given week.

Anyway, I knew all about that but I wasn't going to be bothered. Not only was my Mother in town and we were going to be busy, I'm not staying in that infernal hell hole past mid-August anyway. I've already given notice and I have my move out date already. There were obvious reasons (the guys Pol Pot in sheep's clothing), but really, I wouldn't have been approved to stay anyway since my coursework is done and I can't commit to any place after October. So, when the latest threatening missive was displayed on the community bulletin board, I chuckled to myself, said something like, "What an assh*le," and moved on.

Sadly, some people were not so lucky. But, one person has a particular reason to gripe. When my friend was rejected, he did not create a stink or sue for discrimination or anything like that because his boyfriend lives in the house and he didn't want to jeopardize his residency. Well, his boyfriend didn't go to the party and now has been summarily informed that he's not coming back to the house. Party's on now, Wayne. Not only is that an absurdly illegitimate reason, the fact that there is a previously existing incidence of discrimination because of sexual orientation indicates a culture of discrimination, something that is completely illegal in this country. I don't know what they're going to do. It's ultimately academic anyway because the two guys were moving in together anyway, but now they're angry and want to make trouble for the Warden. Bully for them. The guy should be fired, as should the second in charge. I, for one, would be happy to testify on their behalf.

Anyway, that's the latest saga. I'm counting down the days until I'm out of there. I believe I'm at 45 days to go.

Nothing else interesting happened, so I'll end this post with a short rant about the NBA Draft. I've pored through all available information about the draft and one thing seems clear: some people know what they're doing, some don't have a clue. Toronto and Atlanta in particular seem to be destined for long term terribleness, although Atlanta's pick was easily more justifiable than Toronto's. This marks two years in a row where Toronto has used a top-10 pick to select, at best, their 10th man. I have no idea what Pete Babcock is doing, aside from trying to get fired early. But hey, he ruined the Atlanta franchise and he's doing his best to ruin the Toronto franchise, so maybe he's competing with Isiah Thomas for worst GM of all time.

At any rate, now that basketball is over, the sports world has suddenly become incredibly boring. Training camp can't come quick enough, even though I won't be able to see much if I stay in the UK.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How dare you not place Danny Ainge in the same company as Babcock and Thomas!!!!

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position