Thursday, June 23, 2005

Catching up

My mother is in town so I'm going to try to be brief.

Sunday

First and foremost, I got stood up by the South African. I called her, she never called back. I'm not calling her again. My instincts told me she was sincere with interest; apparently, my instincts were incorrect. So instead of meeting up with her, I went to the Colombian restaurant with Smooth Like Butta' and Eurotrash. Good times. We went to a park afterwards and baked in the absurdly hot (for London) sun. We also met a couple Brazilian girls who were smoking hot.

Monday

I was saved by death. My paper and presentation were nowhere near what I had hoped. I just couldn't get it together over the weekend for some reason. But I was ok enough that I figured I could "wing it" with the presentation and then fix the paper by Thursday. No such need. My professor's Dad died on Sunday and he flew to Israel on Monday. It was an expected occurrence as he had been sick for quite some time, although, I'm sure no less sad. The end result for me is that now my papers aren't due until July 5th.

Tuesday

I received an email on Tuesday from my sister asking me if my Mother had arrived safe and sound. Confusing, I thought, since she was supposed to arrive on Tuesday night. Especially confusing, I added, as my sister was the one that took her to the airport. After several brief moments of panic, I managed to track down my Mother. She had told me the wrong date of arrival. I guess that's what happens when you start to get a bit older. She waited for me at the airport for an hour on Monday night, but when I didn't show, she managed to get the tube to the general vicinity of her hotel and then took a cab to the hotel. She's not one to be helpless in that type of situation even if it is a country she's never been to before.

I had class on Tuesday and had to sort out some really absurd financial aid issues at school (still haven't received my money!) but once I got that done, I met up with my Mother at her hotel. I had sent her out to see some sights during the day. Later, I made her dinner and had a good visit.

Wednesday

We really did the tourist thing yesterday going to the Tower of London and St. Paul's Cathedral. What an exhausting day. Not only was it hot as Dante's 7th circle, but we were on the go from 9 am until 5 pm. We both ended up taking naps before dinner. It's been unseasonably hot in London this week (reaching 90 in the sun at times), so it really takes it out of you. We had a nice dinner last night as well.

Thursday

My Mother went on a tour this morning. It's an all day event. I couldn't go because I have to write a damnable paper that's due tomorrow. We watched this horrid film call Birth of a Nation on Tuesday and I have to write a 3000 word essay about it by Friday. Yuck. Nothing like a 3-hour long silent movie about how great the KKK is to spoil your day.

Anyway, it's a busy week so I'll be posting sporadically.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

So much for the carrot and the paper.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position