Thursday, January 27, 2005

Ahem, Clarification time

I didn't actually expect much feedback from the last post, but apparently it sparked a nerve. So, I'll attempt to clarify my position.

It's not that I'm averse to friendship, dating, whatever with younger women. Last semester I developed a friendship with a 20 year old girl from Boston. She frequently went clubbing with us and it was all good and fun. BUT, that is the EXCEPTION. The rule is, most of the young american women I've met over here are vacant and uninteresting. (I mean, please, y'all know I ain't got a problem with dating someone 6 years younger than me!)

For example, on Tuesday I mentioned that there was one woman at the bar who was gorgeous. Someone commented that what's wrong with hanging out with beautiful women? A fair question indeed. I'll tell you. After, "Where are you from?", "What are you studying?", etc., if there isn't anything in that empty space between her ears then I'm done, no matter how hot she is. In fact, the standard questions are draining. You end up having the same conversation with dozens of people, some of which you remember, some of which you immediately discount. Now, before you think I'm judging hastily, realize that the very pretty woman I met the other day will inevitably fill up that space with experience and education. I'm sure she's smart and capable. But until that happens, well, I'm just not going to be that interested.

Another example, Tuesday night I went out to Sports Cafe with one of my work mates, The Raging Alcoholic. He's British, had never been there before, and sort of cajoled me into going. Even though I really don't like that place that much (as in not at all), I knew that I could dance at least and have some fun. At any rate, we did end up meeting some girls (I got a girl's number) and had a decent time. But, once again, I found myself awash in a sea of immaturity. That being said, I was just looking to dance and I was successful in that, so, like George Bush, "Mission Accomplished".

I would not describe my search for a "meaningful connection" to infer marraige. I didn't move to the UK to find a wife. I moved as part of a soul searching journey to advance myself intellectually and emotionally. When I suggest that I would like a "meaningful connection" with a woman, I am cognizent that there are different types of connections. I definitely have that connection with the Prototype, even if we never end up dating. And perhaps that's one of the reasons why I'm fatigued with the whole meet and greet phenomenon. It is a rarity to find people that you truly connect with and once you do, the every day person pales in comparison. Of course, as the Raging Alcoholic stated, I bet my attitude would be different if I was going into a club with 200 young British woman...

All of this has led me to a simple conclusion: I'm done with American women (Prototype excluded obviously) at this point. It's been a hard thing to come by because I think I prefer American women in general. But I really haven't enjoyed meeting 95% of the American women I've met here and really, when it comes down to it, who the hell goes to a foreign country to meet Americans? (An ever present question in my mind when I go to Uni pub.) Plus, those Brits talk nice.

Other News: Real World has a boyfriend. They met on the internet, had their first date last Friday, exchanged the "L" word on Tuesday, and are hot and heavy for each other. I'm happy for her. Of course, the speed at which they're moving is totally absurd from my position, but whatever - I have a certain relative whose parents got married after a week of knowing each other and they've been together for 50ish years. I still have concerns that being in a super intense relationship with someone is probably a bad thing for her at this juncture, but I could very well be wrong. I mean, this dude is so into her it's not even funny. And maybe that's what she needs - I've never met anyone with greater insecurity issues than Real World and maybe it's just a case of needing a "win" in the dating column at this point. We'll see. I'm supposed to have drinks with them Saturday night.

I made a new friend last night. He's a new guy in the IR program. Really smart dude. Half American, half Nigerian. He spent some time in the US Army after college, so he's my age. He came to the pub after class last night and Eurotrash, the new guy, and me had a great debate about some of the issues we were talking about in class. We need more people like him in the program. The only downside is that I now need to come up with another nickname and I'm fresh out of inspiration at the moment. D'oh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position