Tuesday, January 25, 2005

New Rule:

Never go out with Mexicans on a Monday (or any day that requires you to get up and be competent early).

This rule makes simple sense. See, Mexicans typically enjoy drinking tequila...and that's a harbinger of trouble. Allow me to clarify:

I met up with Eurotrash and Smooth Like Butta' last night at Uni pub. Like I mentioned previously, with the Immature Sophisticate living in Paris, Eurotrash is bored, so he's always trying to get me up to the pub. It seemed like a good idea. New students, old students, and beer. What could be wrong with that?

Little did I know that two of my Mexican friends were up there as well. Things didn't get out of hand, at least not on my part. Smooth Like Butta' tried to pull some girls, and yes, they were girls - no older than 19 or 20. We had a jolly fun time overall. It was right before closing that my Mexican friends went over the top. They had apparently been having shots at the bar for a good while, something we didn't realize until they started singing at top volume. After the "song", they gathered us up and led us to one guy's flat to "drink tequila!". He must be a rich fellow because his Baker Street flat was huge and really nice inside - clearly not affordable on a student salary. He wasn't joking about his tequila stash either. He had at least 7 different types, none of which I had ever heard of before. One even came out of a small wooden cask.

At any rate, I managed to get away with only imbibing two tequila shots, which was plenty. One thing I noticed, the mark of a good tequila is one that does not make you squench into the "bitter beer face". This stuff was no Jose Ceurvo. One bottle was even the "family recipe", which I think might actually be the family business. It was pretty good.

So, today, I'm here at work, with some actual work to do, which is a good thing. But, since I was out late and night buses take forever, I'm pretty much fighting off the cobwebs for the rest of the afternoon. I seriously need to focus. Five hours of sleep is never enough for the likes of me.

Real World seems to have found a man on the internet. They went out on Friday and she had a great time. He apparently did too because he sent her 41 text messages over the weekend. And from what she showed me, he's just as nuts as she is. On the one hand, I think she could do with some time on her own, but on the other, with an ego as fragile as her's, well, it might work out best for her if she has some bloke fawning all over her and telling her how great she is. I'm certainly not capable of giving anything more than a measured complement to this particular individual (because of my allegiance to honesty). At any rate, he went to her place last night for a "2nd date"...I sent her a text message that said, "Hope you're having fun. Remember to take things slow." Her response?

"We're in the slow lane. He's spending the night."

Which sort of makes sense for her. I mean, she waited until the 2nd date to jump in the sack this time, so I guess that's progress...

I have to say, I don't really agree with my friends that try to sleep with young girls. I know that 19 or 20 is past the age of consent, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Perhaps it's because I'm a turn of the page away from 30 or because I'm just naturally conservative in this way, but to me, older guys shouldn't be trying to take advantage of younger girls. Their choice, I suppose, but for me, even if a girl is totally hot (and one of them last night was drop dead), I still get uncomfortable talking to them. This actually highlights one of the differences between me and Smooth Like Butta'. He's completely comfortable talking about inane shit with people who he has nothing in common with. But I have no patience for that. Or, to put it another way, when I meet a girl, I want to scout out the potential to have a meaningful connection and women of that age are no longer in my sights because they don't have that potential, thus, I am generally uninterested in them.

Smooth Like Butta' has no such constraint because he's like Joey from friends. He's "proud of [his] bachelorhood," as he declared last night. I really enjoy his friendship because he's a fun guy with a great attitude about life, but it is sometimes hard for me to reserve judgment. When he gets drunk, he only thinks about one thing: sex. And that pretty much leads him to try to hook up with any decent looking girl around, which I have trouble respecting. I mean, I admire his drive - if he gets rejected, he just moves on to the next one...all...night...long. It's funny to watch because he's like an animal on the prowl, but...oh hell, it doesn't matter really. Good on him, as they say. We all have to make choices about what we're interested in and I can't stand in judgment because someone's choice is different than mine. It's not like he's a cannibal or anything.

I read something yesterday that totally amused me. Paraphrasing, it said that to fight the inevitable loneliness of living in the modern age, increasingly disconnected from those around us because of technology, careers, etc., the two sexes have two different strategies. Women turn to spirituality, new age or traditional. Men turn to beer and sports. Good thing Daddy gave me his Y instead of his X.

You know, when it comes down to it, I think I think too much.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bottle Rocket Fire Alarm said...

I also think too much. People like us are more interesting to talk with. I realize that's a hopelesly arrogant thing to say, but it's true.

It's not just your friend that talks about inane shit, it's 95% of everybody. Water cooler talk. Janet Jackson this. Desperate Housewives that. Brad and Jennifer oh my.

I hang out with people that try hard to be different. I'll take weirdness for it's own sake any day, even if forced and awkward. At least the person is trying.

Failing that, beer can turn inane shit into hilarity if enough is consumed.

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position