Monday, November 22, 2004

“It’s all fun and games until someone gets shanked”

A friend of mine said this in jest one time and I always thought it had a nice ring. Has nothing to do with today’s entry though…

Yesterday was a four star (****) day. I got up to a big cup of coffee and some Danish, always nice to treat yourself right on a Monday. After spending some time doing leisurely work on this paper, I went off to school. Class was thoughtfully shortened because the professor had to (mercifully) interrupt Real World’s presentation as he was suddenly quite ill and had to leave (draw your own conclusions about that one).

After class, RW and The Truth (she needs a nickname even though I don’t think she’s been in the blog before and probably won’t be back since she’s only here for a semester and that’s over in a few weeks) went to the Uni pub and had a pint. RW expressed that she thought I was being cold to her at which point I was virtually speechless…for all of two seconds. I had merely told her I didn’t like her new hair style. I know, never tell a woman that, but, that’s how we do it and you have to understand the background. RW changes her hair every few days. Just Friday she had virtually no hair and Monday she shows up with a full head of weave down to her shoulders that looked horrid. So, I expressed that to her (nicely).

To really understand this, I have to explain a little about RW. She basically looks like Eddie Murphy’s father-in-law in Coming to America. You know – MacDonald’s, not McDonald’s. Right. Ok, imagine she walks in with a bagful of weave on her head shaped to look like Shaft’s hair/headdress in Mars Attacks. So, imagine my chagrin when I see the unholy union of Coming to America and Mars Attacks unveiled before my very eyes. As terrified as I was thinking that the apocalypse was just around the corner, I thought telling her “it wasn’t my style” was good form.

I also privately have to confess that I wasn’t saying after class because I was attempting to hold in the maniacal mirth that was ready to burst through my lips throughout class because she has the unique capacity to say the dumbest shit. At any rate, we patched things up and that was that. The things they can do with a weave these days…

Some may read this and think I’m being overly harsh about this particular individual, and maybe I am. But remember, she is my friend, we do enjoy hanging out at times, and sometimes you just need to vent, and who better to vent to than an anonymous group of casual readers on the internet? That being said, she’s not disgusting to look at, some people do find her attractive. She’s not stupid, but she does has a penchant to say dumb shit and she has a never-cease-to-amaze capacity to simply not know things that she should know. So, when I describe RW, remember, I’m trying not to judge. It’s an internal monologue that I share because I have to or risk implosion.

Anyway, I was supposed to meet this girl (she needs a nickname but the only one I can think of right now is inappropriate) for dinner but I had taken too long and she ate without me. No worries, I’m the sort of guy to adapt on the fly and I found her in the library. We hung out for an hour and half or so and I’m going to see her again tomorrow night. She’s the Real Deal (hmmm).

That left me in a tremendously good mood so I tubed home to a late dinner of delicious leftovers. After that I went next door to my neighbors and watched some TV with them and had a beer. I pretty much have a standing invite to go over to their place all the time and they’re always there. It’s become a three times a week thing, and why not? They’re cool guys, they genuinely like hanging out and chatting it up and I enjoy the change of pace from pure insanity (RW) to British subtlety. Even if I don’t go over there, I do often go out on my balcony just to say hi. I like being the neighborly sort.

Finally I headed to bed at midnight, which is where I am now because I decided to finish up this Tom Clancy novel called The Teeth of the Tiger, a truly horrid book that I have half a mind to toss into the Thames, but probably won’t because I’m the sensible sort. After finishing the book, I attempted to sleep but have failed miserably so far. It’s now 330 in the morning and I’m wide awake.

All in all, a great day, one in which you can’t ask for much more. Well, a little sunlight might be nice, but there’s always tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Would be kinda nice to get some pics of everything that is going on...

Then, we can all laugh at RW's hairdo, in one big horrible online community.

Bliss!

6:19 PM  
Blogger SJH said...

Well, I didn't actually screw up the dinner thing. She ate well before class ended because she was that hungry. So I don't think it hurt, just sounded bad the way I put it. Still, valid point.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position