Sunday, October 31, 2004

Gay People Need ID Cards

No, this is not some radical right argument about how we need to “tag and label deviants”. In fact, the title was more inclined to be an attention grabber, because I don't think I have anything really radical to say.

I write this out of great frustration. Simply, I’m tired of being a jackass. I’m tired of sticking my foot in my mouth. I try to use gender neutral expressions when I don’t know someone’s status, but I don’t always remember. This leads me to conversations like this:

Me: “I’m so frustrated with meeting women and then having nothing good come from it.”

Him: “Yes, that sucks.”

Me: “Do you have trouble meeting nice girls too?”

Him: “Actually it’s boys in my case.”

D’oh. My fault I know, but I didn’t know they were gay. Not that it’s been a huge deal because most guys are cool about it, but I still feel like a total jackass. I mean, if I reversed the roles, I think I would be uncomfortable if I was in that position.

So my plea goes out to gay people everywhere: I don’t know how, but you need to let us straight people know that you’re gay! Now, this doesn’t mean you have to say, “Hi, I’m Paul and I’m gay” or anything like that. But after you get to know someone a little bit, maybe someone who lives in your house that you see daily, you should just casually drop your orientation into the conversation.

Some people understand this. There’s a lesbian girl in the house (who I internally refer to as “The Missing Link” because not only is she studying evolution, but she also has a very large and obvious moustache/goatee thing going on – sometimes people nickname themselves and they don’t even know it). The reason I know she’s a lesbian is because she identified herself as such after about a week. Now, she didn’t knock on every door and shout, “I’m a dike!” and I don't know if she came out with everyone. But the point is, once she got to know me a little, she let me know. I thought that was the way to do things.

At any rate, I went out with the Dead End last night. At least, that's what I refer to her at this point. We didn't actually make the halloween party, instead just had coffee and walked around Leicester square, Picadilly Circus, and Covent Garden. I'm not really interested in seeing her again, but who knows. I have a complete inability to decline invitations from cute girls, even if they are all wrong for me.

Today I have yet to decide what to do. I'm in quite a delightful mood, so I may decide to cook something scrumptous. It is Halloween, after all. I do need to get my study on, so maybe I'll take a look at some of my reading that I need to get done. It's an absolutely goergous day outside, and if the weather holds, I will go to the park. Right now it's blue skies, sun, and in the 50's. Quite nice for London at this time of the year from what I understand. Later, I think Real World and I are meeting up. Not sure what we're going to do. She's a bit preoccupied these days with this Australian that's she's sleeping with and it's a good thing. I enjoy her company much more when she's not recklessly hitting on me or otherwise overly concerned about being single. You just gotta be happy with who you are and where you are, no matter the circumstances. Not easy for everyone to do, and we all have our ups and downs, but some people just can't manage to live in the moment.

Damn I'm in a good mood and I haven't even had any coffee yet. Time to feed the beast.

Short version:

- Stuck foot in mouth (again) with friend who turns out to be gay.
- Met, went out with, and disregarded cute girl.
- Want to: go to the park, make good eats, study, and hook up with friends later.
- Let the good times roll.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Great entry.

I want my university life to be like yours.

8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Political Favorites
Guilty Pleasures
Sports
Friends
My Global Position